cowboys most overrated team of all time?

9/15/2010 4:04:20 PM
urbanicon
9/15/2010 4:04:20 PM Report Abuse

every year of the past decade dallas has gotten more preseason hype then just about every other franchise, only to limp into 2010 with the third worst playoff appearance record of any team in the league over the last ten years. From phillips' inexplicably bad pop warner coaching to mediocre players being tagged as superstars to keith brooking's nausiating pumpup speeches, everything about this team is overhyped, over-analyzed, and underwhelming by the time the season rolls around.

now im a realist and i realize the skins have gotten their fair share of hype that never materialized but COME ON, after so many years of not even getting themselves into playoff contention can somebody just call the cowboys what they are? The second best team in texas and the opposite of a superbowl contender until proven otherwise.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
bjones06
9/15/2010 5:15:31 PM Report Abuse
@urbanicon

First of all preseason hype is established by the media, the Dallas Cowboys do not rank themselves, you can thank the media for that.  The Cowboys must be doing something right for you to make a thread about them and your hating is well appreciated.  They are only the second richest franchise in all the world behind Real or whatever soccer theam that is and are the Yankees of football; you love to hate them.  They have history on their side and while the Dallas Cowboys may not have the recent success of championships like the Yankees, they are one of the financial staples of the NFL and all of sports right now.  If you are basing this claim off of the Redskins' win this weekend, I would not read to much into that. Dallas' offense put up way more yards and Romo outplayed mcnabb (again) with that new scheme that was beaten sorely for the majority of the game & while your office only put up 6 points. Check the stat - total yards, passing yards, rushing yards & time of possession. Wade Phillips is a great "defensive" coach and that is evident as Dallas' defense has gotten increasingly better ever since he took over calling the defensive plays. And romo took them all the way down the field & put his team I'm a position to win the game & if not for alex barron no one would be saying anything.   And please cut the jokes with the second best team in Texas part. One game into the season, calm down.

MIlitaryRD
9/15/2010 5:21:02 PM Report Abuse
@urbanicon

Are you High or just incredibly stupid? I don't even know where to begin with this. I sincerely hope you are joking or just trying to get a rise out of people like me.

KingFelix34
9/15/2010 5:57:10 PM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

Okay let's not act like the Cowboys offense did well against the Skins.  What matters is putting points on the board, and if it were not for a shanked punt, the Cowboys may have never scored a TD.  I was not impressed at all with the Boys, and they I honestly can't see them playing in a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips as a head coach.  Running a pitch play at the end of the half?  Please.  Enough excuses.  If you want to play that game, Anthony Armstrong let two TD passes bounce right off his hands.  If he catches either of those, it's not a game anymore.  If we convert a chip shot field goal instead of the holder blowing it, the final drive by the Boys means nothing.  If Carlos Rogers could catch, the final drive would have ended before the Boys ever got into the redzone.  See how that works?  It's really easy to point at a few blown plays when you lose, but you never consider how the Redskins screwed up because they won.  Would I say that the Redskins outplayed the Cowboys?  Probably not.  Would I say the Redskins coaches outcoached the Cowboys?  Hell yes.  Final note:  Don't blame Alex Barron for holding on the final play.  Blame Alex Barron for being no match for Brian Orakpo.  Romo would have gotten popped if not for Barron's holding.  The Cowboys, their fans, John Clayton, Matt Mosely, and every other Cowboy apologist needs to stop downplaying the Cowboy's O-line troubles, because that's where they lost the game on Sunday.

urbanicon
9/15/2010 6:58:25 PM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

glad I piqued your interest rd, and since you dont know where to start i'll help you out: everything I said is true, from the fact that dallas has the league's third worst playoff record in this decade to the fact that their "studs" are massively overhyped. sure dallas has the history, but in the nfl you get a grace period of ten years to lean on that history before you need to actually accomplish something to be relevant again, and its now the year 2010. just ask the skins or 49ers if great history translates into wins for the current team. Id love to hear some thoughts instead of a knee-jerk reaction, but at the end of the day itll just be a few more drops in the ocean of hype. get at me

KingFelix34
9/15/2010 7:39:52 PM Report Abuse
@urbanicon

The only thing the Cowboys have to lean on right now is that it's week 1.  Looking like shit in week 1 isn't a disaster, but it sure as hell should raise some concerns.  People have indeed crowned the cowboys NFC champs way to early again.  I said going into the year that the Saints and Packers were better, and that the Vikings would be right with the Boys if Favre can play well.  Also, someone mentioned that many teams lost week 1 this week, but my response is so what?  Losers this week:  Broncos (suck), Lions (suck), Browns (suck), Jets (massively overrated), Bengals (overrated), Falcons (massively overrated),  Vikings (played a superior team), Rams (suck), Colts (road loss, poor run defense as usual), Bills (suck), Panthers (have no real QB), Chargers (overrated), Cowboys (massively overrated), Eagles (played a superior team), Raiders (suck), 49ers (massively overrated).  So out of all of the losers, everyone either sucked, played a better team, or was highly overrated.  I can back up arguments against every team that I called overrated because every one of them is, including the Cowboys.

IAC209
9/15/2010 8:08:43 PM Report Abuse
@KingFelix34

Brookings speeches are awesome...

MikeSellers45
9/15/2010 8:26:11 PM Report Abuse
@IAC209

People crowned the Cowboys more than just NFC East Champs...They crowned them Super Bowl Champs.  Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. Overrated.

Overrated.

And Brookings speeches just make him look like they caught him with somethin shoved up his ass.  You wanna real speech whatch Drew Brees. 

bjones06
9/15/2010 8:41:27 PM Report Abuse
@MikeSellers45

The super bowl champs get beat. You're making a generalization on one game - the first game no less - when we were missing 2 starting olinemen. Enjoy it but don't get cocky. 13-7 w/o an offensive touchdown is not worth bragging over. We'll be fine.

Mamba
9/15/2010 9:10:35 PM Report Abuse
@bjones06

Dallas and Jets are overrated but at least the Jets are entertaining.

Mamba
9/15/2010 9:10:35 PM Report Abuse
@bjones06

Dallas and Jets are overrated but at least the Jets are entertaining.

KingFelix34
9/15/2010 9:54:45 PM Report Abuse
@Mamba

bjones, you're absolutely right.  The Cowboys will be fine.  They'll likely win next week, finish out 11-5 and take the NFC East pretty routinely.  But being fine does not equal a Superbowl win, which is what I have been hearing since the Boys drafted Dez Bryant.  I'm not bragging about the Skins beating them, because I know that the  Cowboys are definitely the better team.  I'm bashing the Cowboys because they were a disappointment this week, and this is a recurring theme for the Cowboys in the Philips/Romo era.  You guys aren't that good.  Please stop kidding yourselves into thinking that you are a Super Bowl favorite because you have done nothing to show it.

MikeSellers45
9/15/2010 10:01:11 PM Report Abuse
@KingFelix34

I'm not just talking about this week's win, it's every year we hear how great they'll be.

I wish the media would stop kissin Tony "The Homo" Romo's ass.

UnitedSkins
9/15/2010 10:54:31 PM Report Abuse
@MikeSellers45

Mamba, the Jets are one of the least entertaining teams in the league. Right up there with the Ravens and the Steelers. Watching those three teams is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

da_tree03
9/16/2010 8:30:53 AM Report Abuse
@UnitedSkins

UnitedSkins, I believe he was referring to their HBO Hard Knocks special when he mentioned them being entertaining.

bjones06
9/16/2010 9:46:16 AM Report Abuse
@da_tree03

kingfelix I used that term Superbowl very lightly and I take it with a grain of salt, I know Dallas has alot of work to do before they get there, my point was that they dont self-declare themselves champions, the media does the hyping up of teams.  But they have to take the good with the bad, and everytime they lose, it will be overanalyzed and scrutinized more than any team because they had a good team last year and now the Superbowl will be played at their stadium.  I understand.  The jury is still out, but I still have my concerns as a fan on the offensive side of the ball particularly the O-line, defense is fine.  But if they dont play up to par, Ill be the first to be here holding them accountable, and i dont mind you pointing it out too.

Mamba
9/16/2010 1:14:43 PM Report Abuse
@bjones06

I was referring to the Hard Knocks series and to Ryan; all his talking is entertaining if you don't take it to seriously (and I don't). Second, Reavis is doing something right now that is nothing short of amazing. I don't know if he'll repeat last season but if he does he should be remembered as one of the greatest talents in the history of the League. But the Jets are over rated because Sanchez is a slower learner and doesn't have the talent of - say Bradford who will be one of the top QBs in the League in 3 years.

cowboys33
9/16/2010 1:32:36 PM Report Abuse
@Mamba

The Cowboys need to do something on the offensive end for sure. Maybe not throw a shovel pass at the end of the half on your own 30. Also, the line every year has been horrible with penalties. Cloumbo needs to get his ass back in there to step that line up or else its gonna be a long year for Tony and that backfield. Defense I had no problems with vs the skins offense. They held them to 6 points which should mean you win the game, especially considering last year the Dallas O was Top 5 in the league.

New Comment

You must login to report abuse. Close